Saturday, July 10, 2010

Happy Guests, Happy Us!

There are no moose at the cottage other than these Welcome Meese...
They don't live in North Carolina so we can't spell them. Just kidding.

I got to the cottage to work on it just before the last guests left, and was greeted with huge smiles. "This is the best vacation cottage that people with kids and dogs could ever have. It was perfect! Everything we needed was here with the river and the yard, the grill, the kitchen and laundry; we hardly left the cottage. We will definitely come back again!"

They offered to be a reference for us, if any potential guests desire to speak in person to a satisfied former guest. What encouragement for us!


This part of the New River is just a few miles from it's beginnings, so the water is deep enough for canoeing and inner tubing, but usually slow running (except, like all bodies of water, sometimes after rain storms), and thus is a fabulous place for children to play. Of course, that is always with adult supervision, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.


I want to share some photos of the local folks, farms, flora and fauna taken as I have driven about in recent weeks on various back roads in the area:


A "landmark" for me when driving along Castleford Road on the way to the cottage from Boone and 194, this old building is surrounded by junked automobiles. Interesting landscaping, I must say. Fortunately, most North Carolinians don't chose to landscape our businesses with antique and vintage motorcars. I do plan to stop and photograph the junked vehicles some day when the light is just right. Makes for good art.

To the left of the above building is one road that stops at Castleford Road. Directly across the street from this building is another road. Castleford road is in the middle. Forge ahead!


Further down the road, this tiny mountain cabin is also on the right side Castleford Road on the way to the cottage from Boone. It is just past a "fork" in the road. Stay to the left. You will drive right in front of this tiny homestead, and will be able to see it peeking out behind a row of trees.

This little cottage is one of my mountain favorites, and I have photographed it at least a dozen times. I believe it is being well cared for by the decendants of the folks who used to live here.

I discovered this one-armed bear rooting around in the oak desk when I arrived at the cottage one day. The little girl next door helped me in surgery and we successfully replaced the missing arm with a stick of Rhododendron wood. He feels much better now, and we have given him a permanent place in the cottage. Now if we can just get the other arm to stay put...


Later that same day as I drove home on a back road, I passed by one deer grazing along the side of the road. He scampered off before I could snap his photo. Alas, I did spot this beauty standing still as a statue. She didn't mind my camera one bit. Serendipity!

Last but not least, this farm is just up the road from the cottage.
It was a beautiful, hot summer day in July, perfect for bailing hay along the riverside with your pretty little red tractor.

Until next time, my friend, keep cool, keep busy, and be happy. Come see us at the Cottage on the New!

Deber (Deborah Klein)

1 comment:

  1. i love your blog. it's a beautiful place you have there. i ran across your add in craigslist about a house swap in wilmington. i too am a creative soul and love to finds other peeps with the same things in common! glad to have found you here. we're in middle sound just a few miles from wrightsville beach and just around the corner is the waterway and beautiful marsh. we have a 1200 ft. apartment with our house and would be happy to talk about a trade if you are interested. we are open to any dates and would love to get to the mountains sometime with our two daughters. kim@bigstronggirldesigns.com
    i'm writing under my daughter's e-mail but mine is above.....
    (kim)!

    ReplyDelete