Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mozying Slowly Northwards

Like I told you yesterday, it was raining at the cottage when I left my home in Hickory at 11:00 am. The mountains are a rain forest. But by the time I got to the first mountain top, the clouds were already rising off the mountains, and blue sky was peeking out here and there between them.

That's okay. I much prefer a sunny day!

That's the way the mountains are. You never know what to expect. It's July, so usually along the New River, it's warm. But if you plan to visit any time but summer, actually even into June, do the Girl Scout thing and "Be Prepared". Especially if you tend to chill easily or if you are bringing children.

Now, if you are from a warm place like Florida, take it one further, and be prepared in the summer time too, with a light jacket or sweater for cooler nights, usually in the 60's.

I thought you'd like to see the next door neighbor's garden. It's absolutely charming. This is how it looked yesterday afternoon when I left. The neighbors are very friendly and helpful, and sometimes share the fruits of their labors with us when we're there.

While I was at the cottage yesterday, I put up an American flag on the porch. My daughter in law said, "How can you put that flag pole holder up without a drill (with Phillips bits)?"...because her husband, my son, always has a drill or an electric screwdriver for such tasks...him being a professional with his own construction company.

The cottage looking very American, with our new United States flag.

I, on the other hand, am an unprofessional when it comes to such matters. I have an old-fashioned manual screwdriver like the one my granddaddy used to use, and I know how to use it. I'm not saying it was easy, though. I'm a pathetic substitute for a real handyman with upper arms of steel. I'm sure when Bill and I get there this weekend, he will want to tighten the screws so tight that no one will be able to get them out of that post for the next 500 years, at least. He always does. It's the manly thing to do. (And he's been building things since he was a kid, when he hammered and screwed together his first tarpaper submarine http://tarpapersubmarine.blogspot.com/.)

Last, but not least, here is the photo of the river that I promised you yesterday. After the rain. Ooops! The camera batteries were exhausted. At least that's what the camera always says. I always say they're "dead". Yep, they were dead, so I couldn't get that last picture for you as I left the river. Sorry...you'll just have to take my word for it.

It wasn't high, it wasn't low, it wasn't muddy, either. The sky reflected it's pretty blue and fluffy whites on the surface of the waters as they mozied slowly northwards. Everyone who had planned to go inner tubing yesterday made it out sometime after 12:00 pm, so they were having fun bobbing about like happy little corks in the River of Summertime Fun.

As is to be expected on the New River on a sunny, hot and humid summer day.
As is proper for the New river on a lazy day in July when life is good, and the river is cool...
As you'll experience when you come to the cottage for your visit, some day soon.

Until next time, my friend. Have a great day. Hope to see you soon!

Deber

No comments:

Post a Comment