Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It's a Rain Forest!

Perhaps I shouldn't tell you this, but the Blue Ridge Mountains are a rain forest. At least they are in the Boone, NC area. That accounts for the lush vegetation and healthy wildlife. It accounts for the abundant snow we had up there this last winter. It accounts for the wet Highlands days, reminiscent of the charming Highlands of Scotland, far across the sea. 
The bridge over the river at the corner of Castleford Road and River Road.
A rainy day in the mountains.

So this morning it is raining here at my home in Hickory. I just talked to my daughter in law, who has spent a few days there, and she says it's raining at the cottage. The river is running high and fast. I'm heading up there to help her spruce up the place for this afternoon's guests, and I can't wait to see how beautiful it looks now. I'll take pictures for you while I'm there.

Even with a little rain, the cottage is a heavenly place to be. The views of the river valley and mountains beyond are gorgeous, and the spacious covered porch has plenty of room to sit and sip coffee in the morning, or a glass of wine in the afternoon, while watching raindrops fall into the river.

Now that we have Direct TV, and a new television, when you tire of watching raindrops fall, you can come inside and watch TV, or even a movie.

Or maybe you've worked your poor little self so hard lately that you need to get a little rest. So you can mozy down the hall to your bedroom and lay down for a cozy little nap. When you wake up, the rain just might be done doing its thing, so it's back to a sunny day in the mountains.

But don't forget, you aren't very far from all kinds of dining, shopping and entertainment. The countryside on the way is beautiful, no matter what the weather.

I'm heading out now. I can't wait to see those mountains rising up out of the rainy mist. Magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment