Saturday, June 26, 2010

Moon Over the New

I just wanted to post a few new pictures from this weekend's visit to the Cottage on the New. I think you'll enjoy them. I thought you'd like to see the river in front of the cottage as it appeared when Bill and I left last night.

The moon was huge and full. And the color of blushing cream roses. It was all I could see for the rest of the evening, and like a stray puppy, it followed us all the way home.


It turns out that a lunar eclipse was due to occur during the sleeping hours, and what ever was happening was already affecting the way the moon appeared.

As for the cottage, this is what I saw as we stood on the porch preparing to leave.  I owe a big kiss to the planter of those five tall trees.

Now here's something I think you'll find interesting that was going on in the field across the river from the cottage last week. Across River Road from the bridge is a little road called something like Mill Road. There's an old sugar cane mill behind the hill there. The man that owns it makes molasses from the cane he grows in the field you see below. The old mill used to be horse drawn, but now he uses a tractor, geared down "real low". The molasses is then sold at the general store down the road a piece (as they say here in North Carolina), in Todd.
The horse is a Shire, I was told by an old man who rides his bike by the cottage every day. The people hoeing are actually thinning the sugar cane. Last year, according to the old man, was a bad year for sugar cane. Too cool. But they still managed to cook up 500 gallons of molasses with that crop.
Here is a photo of the cottage's master bedroom, finished at last. A comfy and relaxing place to sleep.
That's all I have time for tonight. Sleep tight!


No comments:

Post a Comment